Needless to say, recording your screen is a must-have feature in different aspects, including eLearning, business, freelance, content creation, and more. It comes in handy when you need to shoot the how-to guides and video content, make a script of the essential information and create any sort of streaming, to name a few.
Depending on the scope you’re going to use it for, there are different types and features embedded in the screen recording software. In this article, we’ll look at the most popular video software products presented on the market, and uncover their core features and possible drawbacks to help you find the best application for any needs.
Best Free Screen Recording Tools to Try
For those who’re new to screen recording, it’s recommended to start practicing with free video software options to learn the core steps of video recording and define the main features you need in this process. Apart from the well-known and feature-rich free screen capture tools from Movavi, Icecream and Apowersoft, you may also consider:
Solid recording software to try that perfectly performs its main purposes. It features a simple, intuitive interface and all the core screen recording functions you certainly need in the process. What is more, the scheduled recording feature makes it just the perfect software for business meetings and presentations. However, if you want to edit the videos without the need of exporting, or export them in specific formats (for instance, Flash, QuickTime, GIF, etc.), it’s better to switch to its Pro version.
- The multi-monitor recording option
- Simultaneous capturing of the screen, sounds, and webcam
- No time limits for the video recording
- No stamps or watermarks on the final screen recording product
- Scheduled screen capturing (for the certain time/application launched)
- Limited video output formats: MP4, AVI, WMV.
- The video editing feature is not available
- The single webcam recording is not available
- The inability to set password protection for your videos
The easy-to-use interface and functional toolbar make the ActivePresenter screen capturer a decent choice for video content creation. It possesses all the necessary options for recording the how-to videos, demos, and tutorials, which makes it the best video software for YouTubers, game streamers, and media content creators.
- Full HD quality screen capturing
- No restrictions in functions or time
- Various types of recording: full/region screen, webcam, microphone, computer sounds
- Editing of both captured and imported videos
- Basic video features: trimming, cutting, annotations, multimedia, animations, transitions, sound effects, and more
- No scheduled recordings available
- Import only the files created with ActivePresenter
- Watermarks on captured videos
- Lacks of video effects
VEED Screen and Webcam Recorder
Packed with tons of great features, this tool works perfectly for educators and content creators who need an effective software solution to use from day one. The most frequently used features people like the most are the ability to screenwriting, magic confetti, and sticky notes creation – all you need for making your video content eye-catching and unique.
- 2 GB of free video storage
- The ability to export directly to VEED video editor
- Multiple recording layouts
- Supports Chrome Browser & Windows or Mac
- Sticky notes, rainbow pens, and confetti for a colorful video design
- The sticky notes and writing pen color cannot be customized
- Most of the editing options are paid
- Lacks of the mobile version for more versatility
- Watermarks on output videos
If you’re looking for a basic screen recorder, the Loom software may be a thing. It works nice for both pro users and beginners, as well as has the core recording features to use. Simply put, that’s a nice app for those looking for effortless communication.
- Simple and easy-to-use interface
- Video resizing features
- Multiple recording layouts
- Instant sharing with a link
- Features the Chrome extension for quick access
- 5-minute recording limit
- Requires creating the account or sign in to get started
- Limitations on videos and screenshots (allowed not more than 100)
- Is often unstable
The Top Paid Screen Recorders for Windows
In case if you need access to all sorts of features from day one, or have defined the features you’d like to have at hand, it’s better to pick up the paid option instead.
This product is claimed as the all-in-one screen recorder and video editor that has a wide scope of use for media content creation, video marketing, and more.
- Various types of screen capturing
- In-built video editing tools for both captured and imported videos
- Covers all the essential video editing features like trimming, cutting, animations, visual and sound effects, and more
- A library of free video, image, and audio presets
- Features a free trial version
- Compatible with the 64-bit system only
- Unstable interface (often crashes)
- Time-consuming launch
- The delays on image or audio
Price: The one-time fee for the product starts at $249.99
Movavi Screen Recorder
This screen recorder for PC works for those who need a professional recording and editing tool packed with all the essential features. It can be used for creating any type of video content, from business to eLearning, you won’t lack any feature.
- Multiple recording options, including scheduled capturing
- Personalized keyboard shortcuts
- Speedy video conversion
- Screenshot capturing and editing
- Instant social sharing
- Only a 7-day free trial period
- Watermark on the videos made during the trial
- During the trial, you can only add a video description and tags if you share the content on YouTube
- The tool won’t work for game recording
Price: Starts at $39.95 for a Personal lifetime license, a 1-year Business subscription costs $69.95.
This desktop app is best for those who need to record videos without an Internet connection, and still access all the tools and features for professional video capture. It offers a full range of tools, including screen recording, video editing, video hosting, sharing, and more.
- Various screen recording options
- The ability to draw, add text, and zoom when capturing
- Export videos to media platforms
- Protect videos with passwords, make them unsearchable, or publish to Web
- In-built video editor
- Most features available in paid version only
- Watermark on the output videos
- The editing process can be seen on video capturing
- No free version, only trial
Price: The 1-device fee starts at $39.95
Now that you know all the advantages and possible drawbacks of the most popular recording software presented on the global market, you can clearly see the benefits of each and what they can be best used for.
Download your best screen recorder right now and check all its features yourself!